Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers
From: Michael E Brown <michael_e_brown@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:44:54 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK, so if I want the HA features, then use on switch at a time.  I
> wonder if there is any way to have redundant (failover) bonded channels.
> In other words, can I have a bonded channel (say, four ports - don't
> put them all on one card by the way) on Catalyst 6500 A and another bonded
> channel (another four ports) on Catalyst 6500 B, and then failover from
> A to B should A go down?  This is really not a Cisco question, but a
> Linux question.  I think the answer is probably no, but I was pleasantly
> surprised yesterday, so I am going to be greedy and try again today.

If you want HA, have one machine (machine A) with bonded channels
connected to switch A, and have another machine (machine B) with bonded
channels connected to switch B.

If you want to go super-paranoid, and have money to burn on links that
won't be used during normal operations: have one machine (machine A) with
bonded channels connected to switch A, and have backup bonded channels to
switch B. Have software that detects failure of all bonded channels to
switch A and fails over your IP to switch B (still on machine A). Have
another machine (B), with two sets of bonded channels connected to switch
C and switch D. lather, rinse, repeat. On Solaris, IP failover to backup
link is called IP Multipathing, IIRC. New feature of Solaris 8. Various HA
softwares for Linux, notably Steeleye Lifekeeper and possibly
LinuxFailsafe, support this as well.

--
Michael Brown