Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple NICS - Real Servers
From: Michael E Brown <michael_e_brown@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 00:18:36 -0500 (CDT)
Yes, this is a generally available feature with most modern NICS. It is
called various things: channel bonding, trunking, link aggregation. There
is a native linux driver that implements this feature in a generic way. It
is called the bonding driver. It works with any NIC. look in
drivers/net/bond*. Each NIC vendor also has a proprietary version that
works with only their NIC. I gave urls for intel's product, iANS. Broadcom
and 3com also have this feature. I believe there is a standard for this:
802.1q.

--
Michael Brown
Linux OS Development