Using only 2 hosts w/LVS+heartbeat?

To: lvs <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Using only 2 hosts w/LVS+heartbeat?
From: Wil Cooley <wcooley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:24:41 -0700
All of the documentation I see demonstrates set ups using at least
3 hosts, one "director" and two "real servers".  I'd like to be
able to just use 2 servers, with one redirecting web proxy (Squid)
requests to itself or the 2nd box.  I've never found any document
that says you CAN'T do this, so my assumption is that it should.
I know of course I could use this in a purely failover configuration
with 'heartbeat' or 'mon', but we'd also like to distribute the
load over multiple machines (and in some installations, make use
of more than 2 machines).

Has anyone done this or something similar?  Should this work,
or am I just on crack?

Now, before you tell me how cheap PC hardware is and how we could use
old 486s for the redirectors, understand that while this installation
is only 2 boxes, we're looking at deploying a dozen or more of these
systems, so the less hardware to install, configure, and eventually
go bad, the better.

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@xxxxxxxxxxx
LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/

"There was a vague, unpleasant manginess about his appearence; he somehow
seemed dirty, though a close glance showed him as carefully shaven as an
actor, and clad in immaculate linen."
-- H.L. Mencken, on the death of William Jennings Bryan