Re: Using only 2 hosts w/LVS+heartbeat?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using only 2 hosts w/LVS+heartbeat?
From: Juri Haberland <list-linux.lvs.users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:06:44 +0000 (UTC)
Wil Cooley <wcooley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --1VhaNAE4Hwu38Ubd
>
> All of the documentation I see demonstrates set ups using at least
> 3 hosts, one "director" and two "real servers".  I'd like to be
> able to just use 2 servers, with one redirecting web proxy (Squid)
> requests to itself or the 2nd box.  I've never found any document
> that says you CAN'T do this, so my assumption is that it should.
> I know of course I could use this in a purely failover configuration
> with 'heartbeat' or 'mon', but we'd also like to distribute the
> load over multiple machines (and in some installations, make use
> of more than 2 machines).
>
> Has anyone done this or something similar?  Should this work,
> or am I just on crack?

I did this once as a proof of concept and it worked. It was a setup with two
machines both running heartbeat to ensure availability, LVS and apache. LVS
was controlled by heartbeat and balanced to itself and the other box. This
setup would have been easily expanded with more real servers (running apache).

Cheers,
Juri

--
Juri Haberland  <juri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>