a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the process)

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the process)
From: "Alex Kramarov (lvs)" <alex-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:52:49 +0200
Hello.

I am (now) a happy user of lvs in the lvs-dr config, but the path that lead
me to satisfaction was not an easy one.

in order to solve the arp problem, and after a day of messing around with
the hidden patch, while it was NOT working for me ( and after figuring out
that if i put the VIP in lo:0 and the VIP in the same network with the RIP,
i successfully kill all the communication to my box), I have stumbled upon a
fact that in order for the

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden

to take effect, i must do a

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden

???

after supposedly, killing all the arp requests to the machine with the
second line, all the ip addresses of the machine reply to arp requests,
except the one in dummy0.

this is the desired effect, but the docs suggest that

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden

should be enough !!!

I am running RH7.1 with 2.4.9 kernel, patched with the
http://linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/hidden-2.4.5-1.diff , fresh from
kernel.org. Wheither it is a bug in the patch, or a mistake in the
documentaion (or just me not reading in the right place), i think we should
find the correct answer to this issue asap, so others won't have to repeate
my last day, wasted with this issue.

more on the issue :

since the howto advices to use mon, i think there should be at least a page
describing how to install and configure mon for the job, since it's "make
install" does almost nothing, you have to move all the files yourself : the
default install of it simply doesn't work, starting from the fact the it's
rc script doesn't start it as a daemon, continuing with stating the fact
that if you do not provide the -w (weight) flag in the mon.cf, you will not
get any visible errors, but the upalert event will not work, and the mail
alert module somehow calls /usr/LIB/sendmail, without checking if the file
even exist, and not reporting the error. I am going to repeat this
installation in the production servers in 2 weeks, so i could volonteer for
the job.

I haven't got the the heartbeat yet, I hope my way there will be a little
easier when before. One thing i Must say : after you get it right - it works
 I have tested 2 servers for 12 hours with a stess tool - the 2 servers took
about 100.000.000 hits in that period - cool. one of the crashed later
because the logs mount ran out of space. Can anybody point me to a "HOWTO
configure a fully monitored production server" so that these and other
problems that may arise in the process that I didn't think of would be
solved automatically ?

Thanks.

Alex.