Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the proc

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the process)
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:24:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Alex Kramarov (lvs) wrote:

> this is the desired effect, but the docs suggest that
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden

I'll have a look at the HOWTO, it's hard to keep eveything straight.
The configure script has the working commands in it.

> since the howto advices to use mon,

The HOWTO has a detailed section on mon, since I did it myself. I don't
have any docs on HA and I refer people to the ultramonkey pages. I go to
great pains to not advocate one method or another. That's hardly advising
people to do mon.

i think there should be at least a page
> describing how to install and configure mon for the job, since it's "make
> install" does almost nothing, you have to move all the files yourself

which is what the HOWTO says to do too.

 : the
> default install of it simply doesn't work, starting from the fact the it's
> rc script doesn't start it as a daemon, continuing with stating the fact
> that if you do not provide the -w (weight) flag in the mon.cf, you will not
> get any visible errors, but the upalert event will not work, and the mail
> alert module somehow calls /usr/LIB/sendmail, without checking if the file
> even exist, and not reporting the error. I am going to repeat this
> installation in the production servers in 2 weeks, so i could volonteer for
> the job

The HOWTO says there are problems with mon. Some of the versions of mon
just don't work at all for me. The HOWTO lists the versions that I got to
work.

> I haven't got the the heartbeat yet, I hope my way there will be a little
> easier when before. One thing i Must say : after you get it right - it works
>  I have tested 2 servers for 12 hours with a stess tool - the 2 servers took
> about 100.000.000 hits in that period - cool. one of the crashed later
> because the logs mount ran out of space. Can anybody point me to a "HOWTO
> configure a fully monitored production server" so that these and other
> problems that may arise in the process that I didn't think of would be
> solved automatically ?

WHat you've got is free and was done in people's spare time.

The configure script will setup mon and the LVS for you and hasn't failed
on me in over a year and I probably run it several times a day. I've
demostrated mon failover by pulling network cables for a room full of
people several times at 10mins notice. Other people who don't know the
configure script, as well as I do, have trouble with it. I'm trying to fix
it so they have less trouble. I have to wait for people reporting
problems.

If you want an automatic fail-proof commercial grade install, then expect
a automatic commercial fail-proof grade price. There are many people on
this mailing list who could do this for you. Just post your specs and
ask people to discuss it with you offline.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx