Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the proc

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the process)
From: "Alex Kramarov" <alex-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:33:46 +0200 (Jerusalem Standard Time)
-------Original Message-------
>What you've got is free and was done in people's spare time.
>The configure script will setup mon and the LVS for you and hasn't failed
>on me in over a year and I probably run it several times a day. I've
>demostrated mon failover by pulling network cables for a room full of
>people several times at 10mins notice. Other people who don't know the
>configure script, as well as I do, have trouble with it. I'm trying to fix
>it so they have less trouble. I have to wait for people reporting
>problems.
>If you want an automatic fail-proof commercial grade install, then expect
>a automatic commercial fail-proof grade price. There are many people on
>this mailing list who could do this for you. Just post your specs and
>ask people to discuss it with you offline.

First, I would like to apologize to the list, because I feel I had to to
something wrong to deserve this tone of voice, although i don't remember
doing so.

I feel that in my letter I have only done what the open source community
expect from each other - to report problems with existing software and
contribute to it, wheither it's in a way of code or documentations. I
believe that the goal of the people on this list is to make LVS as easy as
possible to install and maintain. The configure script is great when you
come to an existing system preinstalled with all the required components in
the way the configure expects, but usually you start from the main piece
(lvs in this case) and work your way up (this is what I did). my steps in in
installing the software were :

build kernel with lvs and arp patch.
test the system on 2 servers for a day
add the mon subsystem

from my experience, you just can't install a big system you know nothing
about, and expect it to run from the first time, so i install bit by bit.
The configure generated some great scripts for me, which I have used as a
base for my configuration, but there are some people (like me) that like to
know the system configuration on a closer when "run configure and hope for
the best" basis, and tinkering with the base files, i did find some problems
 which I believe should be documented for these to come.

My way in linux software comes from qmail, which is an active developers
community, where i did contribute some code, and some help to newbies, and
now when i move to new projects, I hope to be useful here too. Like i sayed
before, in two weeks I am going to repeate the installation on production
servers, and I am prepared to add some data to the howto, or just to post my
additions to the list, so others could find it there. it's in your hands to
decide wheither you want me to.

Thank you.

Alex.