Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the proc

To: "Alex Kramarov (lvs)" <alex-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: a new user successfully installed lvs (loosing 10 pounds in the process)
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:16:57 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Alex Kramarov (lvs) wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am (now) a happy user of lvs in the lvs-dr config, but the path that lead
> me to satisfaction was not an easy one.
>
> in order to solve the arp problem, and after a day of messing around with
> the hidden patch, while it was NOT working for me ( and after figuring out
> that if i put the VIP in lo:0 and the VIP in the same network with the RIP,
> i successfully kill all the communication to my box), I have stumbled upon a

        How is that possible? What communication is stopped? Can you
provide 'tcpdump -len arp' output for all devices involved? You have to
show us that some ARP reply is not sent when it should, or vice versa.

> fact that in order for the
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden
>
> to take effect, i must do a
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
>
> ???
>
> after supposedly, killing all the arp requests to the machine with the
> second line, all the ip addresses of the machine reply to arp requests,
> except the one in dummy0.
>
> this is the desired effect, but the docs suggest that
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden
>
> should be enough !!!

        Use this doc:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/arp.html
1. The hidden interface approach

        If some doc is buggy, send fix to the doc author.

> I am running RH7.1 with 2.4.9 kernel, patched with the
> http://linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/hidden-2.4.5-1.diff , fresh from
> kernel.org. Wheither it is a bug in the patch, or a mistake in the
> documentaion (or just me not reading in the right place), i think we should
> find the correct answer to this issue asap, so others won't have to repeate
> my last day, wasted with this issue.

        I'm not sure what doc you are reading. If you look into the patch
you can see that there is an info how the feature is activated. There
is a description in proc.txt and ip-sysctl.txt. You have to send me an
URL to this buggy doc.

> Thanks.
>
> Alex.

Regards