Re: about Persistent connection

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: about Persistent connection
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:54:44 +0200
Hello,

> sorry, I missed this posting last week.
> You don't need the ppc, the script handles persistence for you.

How does the script know about my own protocols? I don't get it. There
must be a flag where you can explicitly set persistency and if you set
nothing, the script does its heuristics.

> ahem, cough, I'll try again.
>
> Most services are handled by a single port entry in ipvsadm.

To my understanding a service is an IP:PORT tuple where port is
singular or the quiesced port. If you refer to protocols with
services I'd agree but services as referred to LVS services I
would tend to say that 'all services are handled by a single
port entry in ipvsadm'. YMMV.

OTOH you can have indirect multiple port groups with the fwmark
feature, also called service :)

> Some services need extra attention - the following conditions are
> handled by the configure script.

Again, I would say: 'some protocols need extra attention'

> https: the key exchanges needed for https require that the service
> be persistent.

yep.

> ftp: this is a multiport (20,21) service.
> For LVS-NAT, the multiport setup is handled
> by loading the module ip_masq_ftp. For VS-DR, VS-Tun,
> the two ports are made persistent.

agreed.

> http/https: if http is forwarded to a realserver which
> is also handling https, then http is made persistent, on
> the assumption that this is an e-commerce site.

Wow! I don't want to sound picky but: How can you know how
people implemented the transition from http to https for
payment on their 2/3-tier e-commerce framework? See, I still
vote for the strict persistency-veto variable. You can do
configuration based on your understanding and on experience
but you have to leave people the possiblity to switch this
off with a flag.

> other port pairs: these can be set by adding entries to
> the array @persistent_services.

Is port pairs defined as 'one port or more ports' or 'exactly
two ports' ?

> Does this help?

:) Depends on how you look at it.

Cheers and I wish you a nice week,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--
echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' |