trouble about IP Fragmentation by using the Linux Virtual Server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: trouble about IP Fragmentation by using the Linux Virtual Server
From: <frederic.buche@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:51:06 +0200

Hello,

We have some trouble about IP Fragmentation by using the Linux Virtual Server and ISDN connection

It works as follow :
User   -->    LVS    --> WinNT Servers

If the user who send the SMTP message use an ISDN (RNIS) connection, there is some fragmentation on the ip datagramm.
(see the logs in the attached files)
The fragmentation is absolutly normal, but what happens is that the connection is bloked, as we can see in the Tcpdump's logs.

Our configuration is :  a kernel 2.4.18 and the ipvs patch 1.0.6
(we tried also the other patches 1.00 ans 1.0.1)

But this kind of ISDN connection works properly with an old version of the LVS (ipvs patch 0.9.15) with a Kernel 2.2.16.

We tried to know if our problem was coming from the Linux ip layer or from the IPVS.
So we set up an address tranlation to another server, in order that each ip datagramm should be relayed.
This test was working properly, that's means the Linux ip layer is correct.

It seems that the bug comes from the ipvs.

Has someone an idea about that ?

Thanks

Frédéric BUCHE
mailto : frederic.buche@xxxxxxxxxx