Re: Syncing user accounts between server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Syncing user accounts between server
From: Jerker Nyberg <jerker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:28:56 +0200 (CEST)
I used to take information from the customer database and store
shadow/passwd/groups/httpd.conf/aliases/virtusertable/etc in two
high-availability MySQL-databases (on the same machines that run LVS) then
every 30 minutes or apropriate generate the files on the real servers. The
"source of all information" for us whas the customer database (also
MySQL), that we can modify in our own customized python/GTK-clients or the
customers (indirect) via a webinterface.

One of the ideas with this was to move the focus from what is stored on
the servers to what is in the customer database. In that way it is easy to
inactivate accounts if customers doesn't pay their fees etc. If the
real-servers go down, they can all be reinstalled with a
kickstartinstallation including the scripts that generate the
configuration files. I found it easier with "pull" instead of a "push" for
the configuration files.

Local files (with databases "db" instead of linear files in
/etc/nsswitch.conf - this began to make a difference with more than 10k
users) in my experience always seemed to be faster than any networked
nameservices (LDAP, NIS etc) even if you use nscd to cache as much as you
can.

However, I do not work with that any more, I am now a student again.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.