Re: hardware suggestion ...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: hardware suggestion ...
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:41:21 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, vecna@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> maybe :) and LVS-DR don't required a lots of memory how could required
> LVS-NAT ... but what's about network device ? we are thinking to
> but three quad intel for contact the RS and two 3Com 35985 for external
> interface, did you know if those work correctly ?

I'm sure someone who knows the code better than myself can correct me but.

With LVS-DR the packet is copied into system memory, the MAC address is
changed and then sent back out the interface.  I'm not sure how the
zero-copy network code works with this however.  So, IF the packet is
going NIC -> Main Memory -> MAC address change -> NIC.  You'll have to
consider the bandwidth of the memory.  LVS-NAT does a bit more packet
mangling and has to handle the outbound packets as well.

With LVS-DR you typically 'bounce' the packet off the LVS servers.  You do
not route the packets through the LVS Servers (LVS-NAT, LVS-TUN).  I'm not
sure why you would want to have the real servers plugged directly into the
LVS boxes.  With LVS-DR everything needs to be on the same bridged
segment.  I think you can find a 24 port ethernet switch for much less
money than 3 quad ethernet cards.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 746-2760
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 746-3704
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com