Re: hardware suggestion ...

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hardware suggestion ...
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:37:40 -0500
> I'm sure someone who knows the code better than myself can correct me but.
>
> With LVS-DR the packet is copied into system memory, the MAC address is
> changed and then sent back out the interface.  I'm not sure how the
> zero-copy network code works with this however.  So, IF the packet is
> going NIC -> Main Memory -> MAC address change -> NIC.  You'll have to
> consider the bandwidth of the memory.  LVS-NAT does a bit more packet
> mangling and has to handle the outbound packets as well.

I could be totally wrong here, but gigabit ethernet is equivalent to
125mb/sec.  Even if you have to read the packet in, and then write it back
out, that's only 250mb/sec, and over two lines it is 500 mb/sec.  I don't
know of any modern (past 5 years or so) computer that couldn't handle
1/2gb/sec of memory transfers.

-Jacob