Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:18:12 -0500
> > Once I added load balancing to our webserver, somewhat large uploads
(11k I
> > know doesn't work, probably 3k or so may not either, still testing)
timeout,
> > giving a "Server cannont be displayed."
>
> generate a large file (foo.html) and reliably get your error message.
> Look at the output of ipvsadm (for InActConns etc), to see if anything
> wierd is happening there.

Sorry, I think I was vague about directions files are moving.  I'm trying to
upload a 11k jpeg to the server from the client, not from the server.

> Then monitor your director and the realserver with tcpdump
> (you will need to run tcpdump on each machine) to see what
> happens when the client fetches foo.html.

I've been doing basically that -- watching ipvsadm on the director, and
dumping the port and watching what happens when the file uploads.
Unfortunatly, I don't quite understand how to read what I'm seeing in
tcpdump.

> I expect you will see hung connections. What to do about them
> will have to await your data.

That seems to be what I have.  At first, ipvsadm shows one ActiveConn, and I
see a handful of packets going from the director to the realserver and back
to the client.  After about 30 sec, another connection appears in the
ActiveConn list.  after aborting the upload from the client, the two
ActiveConns don't seem to die off very quickly (1 min+), (I think)
reinforcing your assertion.

1 min tcpdump follows, I would be very grateful if you could help me parse
it out :)

-- DIRECTOR TCPDUMP --
13:34:49.871586 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: S
2867883190:2867883190(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK> (DF)
13:34:49.871899 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: . ack
127016400 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:49.874462 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
0:632(632) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:49.874962 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
632:2092(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:49.875228 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: .
2092:3552(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:49.875352 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
3552:5012(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:52.134101 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
632:2092(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:34:56.741328 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
632:2092(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:35:05.955830 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
632:2092(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)
13:35:24.384761 ws4.listingbook.com.1846 > www.listingbook.com.2000: P
632:2092(1460) ack 1 win 17520 (DF)

-- REALSERVER TCPDUMP --
12:15:11.055010 www.listingbook.com.2000 > ws4.listingbook.com.1846: S
127016399:127016399(0) ack 2867883191 win 5840 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
(DF)
12:15:11.058026 www.listingbook.com.2000 > ws4.listingbook.com.1846: . ack
633 win 6952 (DF)

ipvsadmin shows:
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  www.listingbook.com:2000 rr persistent 360
  -> beta.listingbook.com:2000    Tunnel  1      1          0