Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:35:50 -0500
> I meant the content of the service being offered, eg the html files
> on the realservers.

Ahh ok, the site is mirrored across the two servers using rdist.  Session
management and content is database driven, so a client can transparently
move from one server to another without having any problems.  I really don't
need persistence, but it's there just in case until I'm able to assess
everything a bit better.  I did a few months of fiddling around in testing
without any problems, but apparently I forgot to check the upload stuff :-/

> > HTTP, like it says in the subject ;).
>
> OK I have heard of it then :-)
>
> I'm not familiar will uploading with http though.

It's just a type of HTTP POST.

> > Its not just image uploads that cause the server to hang, large HTTP
GETs
> > are also problematic.
>
> I expect it will be easier to test if this is fixed and you should try
this
> first.

After a bit of testing, a 934 byte file to POST (upload) works, but a 935
byte file consistently DOES NOT.  What does this mean?  I've never seen a
limit like that.  Am I leaning up against some weird packet fragmentation
problem (even though the tcpdump stuff shows DF)?

> I don't see anything odd in your tcpdumps.

Hooray!  ;-)

I've got to get this little problem fixed by Tuesday am, one way or another.

I have a hunch that this little issue is causing problems with logging in
for some people since that is done with a HTTP POST over https.  Next step
is to test if this issue exists on the other realserver or not.  Maybe a
route or interface conf issue?

Thanks,
-Jacob