Re: LVS on Suse 8.1

Subject: Re: LVS on Suse 8.1
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:40:59 +0900
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:24:47AM +0200, Christian Klinger wrote:
> Hello List!
>
> I´m new to lvs!  I try to install lvs on a suse 8.1 box!
> I follow the instructions on the Readme on the ipvs-1.0.8-2.2.19 tarball.
>
> The first patch works fine!
> On the second patch "linux_net_netsyms_c.diff" i got this message
> # Reversed patch detected! Assume -R ? i said yes   - mistake???

The kernel supplied with SuSE already has LVS (and many other patches)
applied. So you do not need to apply the LVS patch if
you wish to use this kernel.

If you want to apply the LVS kernel and build the kernel
from scratch then it is _stronly_ recomended that
you start with a kernel from kernel.org.

This seems to be a point of confusion for many people.
How can we make this clearer?

> After this i run the command make menuconfig and i select all NetworkOptions
> / IP Netfilter Configuration
>
> Than I try to install the ipvs-package
>
> I change to directory ipvs and type make
>
> I got this error
>
> ip_vs_ctl.c: In function 'update_defense_level':
> ip_vs_ctl.c:98: request for member 'counter' in something not a structure or
> union

When building the kernel you should always run
make from the top level kernel directory. If you have
the lvs patch applied (which as I have metioned SuSE kernels do)
and lvs enabled in the configuration, then a top level
build will build lvs, along with the rest of the kernel.

--
Horms