Re: LVS on Suse 8.1

Subject: Re: LVS on Suse 8.1
From: "Christian Klinger" <christian.klinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:14:54 +0200
>> Hello List!
>>
>> I´m new to lvs!  I try to install lvs on a suse 8.1 box!
>> I follow the instructions on the Readme on the ipvs-1.0.8-2.2.19 tarball.
>>
>> The first patch works fine!
>> On the second patch "linux_net_netsyms_c.diff" i got this message
>> # Reversed patch detected! Assume -R ? i said yes   - mistake???

>The kernel supplied with SuSE already has LVS (and many other patches)
>applied. So you do not need to apply the LVS patch if
>you wish to use this kernel.

That sounds good!
But now i´m a little bit confused!

If i run the command ipvsadm on the normal kernel i got the error
 #Can´t initialize ipvs: Protocol not available
 #Are you sure that IP Virtual Server is built in the kernel or as module

Can you tell me what must i do to get LVS working on my SuSE machine?
Step by Step!

>If you want to apply the LVS kernel and build the kernel
>from scratch then it is _stronly_ recomended that
>you start with a kernel from kernelorg.

I would do so simple as possible!

>This seems to be a point of confusion for many people.
>How can we make this clearer?

I will than make a howto or faq if i got it to run on SuSE! Perhaps that
helps!

>> After this i run the command make menuconfig and i select all
NetworkOptions
>> / IP Netfilter Configuration
>>
>> Than I try to install the ipvs-package
>>
>> I change to directory ipvs and type make
>>
>> I got this error
>>
>> ip_vs_ctl.c: In function 'update_defense_level':
> ip_vs_ctl.c:98: request for member 'counter' in something not a structure
or
>> union

>When building the kernel you should always run
>make from the top level kernel directory. If you have
>the lvs patch applied (which as I have metioned SuSE kernels do)
>and lvs enabled in the configuration, then a top level
>build will build lvs, along with the rest of the kernel.

thx christian