Re: LVS on Suse 8.1

Subject: Re: LVS on Suse 8.1
From: Malcolm Turnbull <Malcolm.Turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:21:47 +0100
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
On 2003-06-04T16:40:59,
   Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

If you want to apply the LVS kernel and build the kernel
from scratch then it is _stronly_ recomended that
you start with a kernel from kernel.org.

This seems to be a point of confusion for many people.
How can we make this clearer?

We could add a "patch_kernel.sh" script instead of recommending that
people call patch manually. That script could check for the presence of
LVS in the kernel and emit a big warning and abort.

Now, what would be nice was if Wensong would also make _incremental_
patches available; that would make patching up a vendor kernel to the
current LVS status at least possible for a normal user.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks I found when replacing a Mandrake Kernel with a standard kernel is that none of the instructions I've seen mention that when you run xconfig or menu config the first thing you should do is load up the current settings from /boot/config. I spent some time trying to guess which options to select before realising I could just modify the current set up.

Obviously you are going to loose all your nice vendor patches like auto/super mount etc. But most people can live with that.

Its depressing for newbies that when they boot a newly compiled kernel it crashes and burns straight away and they give up thinking "only hackers do that".

After burning my fingers on a freeswan kernel compile 4-5 times, I gave up for a year before trying again with LVS.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--

Regards,