RE: Confused Noobie questions.

Subject: RE: Confused Noobie questions.
Cc: "'bmwall@xxxxxxxxx'" <bmwall@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:07:45 -0800
Hello Ben,

> I have been reading about LVS for about a week and I think I
> am suffering from info overload.

I am suffering from thanksgiving-work-potluck overload.  Ah well, at least
it's Friday and sunny here in California.

> What I have:
>   Debian Stable (I like getting security patches quick)

FYI, Debian released a big security warning on bugtraq today.  You might
want to check it out.

>   Director: Kernel 2.4.18 patched with ipvs 1.0.2

Update to 2.4.23 & latest ipvs when 2.4.23 comes out.  Be aware there are
security issues with 2.4.18.  Incidentally, since you use Debian you can
grab Horms's LVS/kernel packages for Debian (Sid or Woody) @
http://www.ultramonkey.org/download/2.0.1/

>   Director has two nics, but I am going to remove one, so I
> want a one nic setup on the directors (Direct Routing)

Use high quality NICs.  I like eepro100s.  This is what Google and Yahoo
etc. use.

>   2 Webservers
>   2 DB machines
>   The loadbalancing is working on the 2 webservers, I have
> not set it up on the database servers yet because of concerns
> about database connection state and how LVS handles that (or doesn't).

It's a good idea to do the web stuff first to familiarize yourself with LVS.
Are you on a three-tier network?  Your DBs shouldn't be accessible to the
public.

> What I want:
>
>   Two Virtual servers (Direct Routing):
>    - 1 for http/apache (loadbalanced) (2 machines, more later)
>    - 1 for MySQL (simple failover) (2 machines)
>   Automatic addition/removal from LVS when failure detected
>   Director Failover (I have two machines for director duty)

Ok 8-)

> What I am confused about:
>   Director failover:
>    - I am planning on setting up heartbeat via serial cable.
>    - Which tool should I use for the takeover? vrrpd, Fake

If you want to use a serial cable then you should use heartbeat
(http://www.ultramonkey.org/download/2.0.1/).  Documentation is 2
directories up from the listed URL.

>    - ldirectord, keepalived ??? or just mon, heartbeat, fake?

Since you will be using heartbeat already, you might as well go with the
whole Ultramonkey package.  I have used it here for ~2 years now with almost
no issues.  The icing on the cake is Horms provides very quick Debian &
Redhat updates.  I'm not 100% certain, but I would guess that Horms is the
package maintainer for Debian.

>    - Do I need connection table synchronization?
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=1054593
> 91703228&w=2

I don't know, do you?  What makes you think you need connection table
synchronization?

>   - iproute2's advantage over eth0:10 style (is it just an iptables
> issue?) ( I know next to nothing about iproute2 )

So basically you are talking about Keepalived vs. Heartbeat/Ultramonkey.
Keepalived is based on VRRPd and uses the 'iproute2' method of aliasing.
Failovers are very quick, the software is simple and does the job.  I use
Keepalived for BGP-flash-linux routers.  Ultramonkey uses heartbeat, which
integrated code from the obsolete "fake", for ip failovers and ldirectord
for adding/removing services and real servers.  Heartbeat is slower to
failover to the backup, ~10 seconds instead of 2-5, but is much more
configurable than Keepalived.  E.g., serial cables can be used, and custom
scripts seem easy to integrate - or at least they seem easier to my simple
mind ;-).  Both packages are really nice and well supported.  If you use
either package the sun will smile down upon your systems and your bosses
will think you are a genius.  That having been said in your case I think
you'd be better off with Ultramonkey due to the serial cable.

>  Automatic addition/removal from LVS:
>   - mon + script? or is there a better way?  ldirector, keepalive??

Both Keepalived and Ultramonkey have this functionality integrated & well
documented.

> Again, Thanks for everything, I cant wait to start testing
> this by pulling network cables and power plugs (I am running a journaled
fs).

Heh, heh.  A glutton for punishment eh? ;-)

Cheers,

Peter M.