Re: Persistance and LVS

Subject: Re: Persistance and LVS
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:41:04 +0100
pb wrote:

Our webmail is set on the webmail real servers to be
60 min before it gives up the session, but setting LVS
to 15 min was just so they can login to webmail, and I
never saw any trouble with this setup. I did not
believe the LVS persistance needed to match the
webmail persistance, due to the unlike strategies of
persistance behind each. Yes/no???

If you can't login without persistence on the loadbalancer then your web mail app does NOT have persistent sessions (i.e. backend sharred database.)

Would changing 15 to 60min Persistance on the LVS take
up a lot of memory and processing (CPU/load) overhead?
We're running 1gb of memory and dual pentium III.

I would think it would be fine, 1 GB should handle almost 8 million connections in the timeout period i.e. 60 mins (or 2mins with no persistence) Some one clever might correct me on that but I think its true.

--
Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull

Loadbalancer.org Limited