Re: Mon + LVS for a mysql cluster

To: aero_climb@xxxxxxxx, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Mon + LVS for a mysql cluster
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:47:34 +0100
Romain,

There is not good sollution for mysql and clustering.

Your best bet (if you only do a lot of Select query's) would be to use one mysql master server which gets all the update/delete/insert query's and stores the main database,. Then you could use mysql master-slave setup to replicate this master database to a couple of slave servers on which you could do all of your selects.

You could use Mon/ldirectord to make a LVS cluster out of these select servers just like any other type of servers. I'm not sure what you should do with the persistence tough. (especially if you use mysql_pconnect from within php/apache)

I have the following setup:
cheap webservers (LVS)
cheap load balancers (VIP)
expensive raid 10 mysql server (master)
cheap fileserver + mysql slave (just for backup, not for queries)

I think this is the best setup you could have.
Granted, if your database server dies, you're screwed, but with the current mysql master/slave/replication/cluster technologies you wouldn't be able to provide faiover for update/insert/delete query's anyway.

(making one of the slaves into a master and thus change its database will give you a serious problem when you master comes back up again. (you'd have to make the master a slave, stop the current master (breaking the whole point of allways online) and replicate to it, then when it is up2date change its role to be master again.)

hope this helps.

greets
Jan

Romain Moyne wrote:

Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john@xxxxxxx

lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/01/2005 02:55:37
PM:

Have you read the section on databases in the HOWTO?

I don't find any Howto to use LVS with databases... It isn't in the
documentation section :(

go to the LVS HOWTO title page

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/

1. use the find function on your browser with the string "database"

or

2. go to the first link on this title page - it's the LVS documenation
search
engine. plug in "databases"

Joe
On my MySQL servers, I want to install MySQL CLuster. But can I use Mon with LVS and how?

thanks,