Re: local node port redirection

Subject: Re: local node port redirection
From: Tom Lord <toml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:55:16 +0000
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:28, Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.
> > localnode.html#localnode_cant_rewrite_ports
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. We are testing this to see if it
> > can work around
> > the problem, but it has two disadvantages:
> >
> > 1. It requires recompiling the kernel with changes which may cause
> > problems on SMP machines (according to some reports).
>
> you only need iptables support (AFAIK). Does this cause problems with
> SMP?

The post you refer to suggests patching the kernel. We found that
without patching the kernel we couldn't connect to the load-balanced
service when the request was forwarded to a remote server, probably due
to bad connection tracking in iptables.

> > 2. It doesn't allow one to run multiple web servers on the director
> > (e.g. Apache for the sorry server, and Tomcat for the main
> > web service).
>
> this isn't obvious to me. Can you explain more?

We want to run two web servers on the director: Tomcat as the primary
webserver and Apache as the sorry server. We can't run these on the same
port, and the local node LVS setup doesn't allow changing ports, so we
can't reach both webservers on the local machine.

cheers,
Tom.