RE: [ANNOUNCE] Ultra Monkey 3

Subject: RE: [ANNOUNCE] Ultra Monkey 3
From: "Jeff Kilbride" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:02:48 -0700 (PDT)
I'm running a custom 2.4.30 kernel, so I already have LVS support working.

It's not that I want to use 7.3, it's just that these machines have been
online for a long time and they're located in a remote NOC. We
standardized on 7.3 a while ago and have just been upgrading kernels and
certain pieces of software when we need to. I'm leary of changing anything
that isn't necessary.

[root@www 13:38:18 root]# uptime
 13:38:19  up 454 days, 12:24,  1 user

I was able to move some services and free up one of my boxes to take on
the role of director. If the NOC was local and I had the time, I might
consider going down there an putting RHEL on this box. But as it is, I
prefer to stay with 7.3.

Honestly, I almost never run stock kernels even if they have everything I
need in them. It only takes about 10 minutes to build a custom one and
then I know *exactly* what's in it, what are modules, etc...  I just feel
better that way.

Thanks,
--jeff