RE: LVS via Direct routing

Subject: RE: LVS via Direct routing
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:48:17 +0200

Volker Dormeyer :
> All real server machines and the LVS system itself are meant here. The
> sketch on [1] should make it clear. Yes, the clients can connect from
> anywhere.
>
>    1. http://www.linux-vs.org/VS-DRouting.html

Yes and no. All servers should share a physical segment with the director.
They could at least use different outgoing networks (I used this setup
sometimes).

But, really, I think that you can do DR with a multi-homed director, which
can have several "internal" networks. The only thing you need is that your
director should have direct access to all the servers "internal" networks.

>  > Please correct me If I am wrong here
>  > If I have an application where all my servers are within a single n/w
>  > and I do not require to change any ports , the LVS DR is the best
>  > option, because It has least overheads on the LVS server itself.

Yes, this is right, also this setup lets you manage ingoing and outgoing
flows separately, it could help you in scalability if you have a multi-homed
network.

François.