Hardware requirements for an LVS director

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Hardware requirements for an LVS director
From: mike <mike503@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 01:02:15 -0700
I'm looking into using LVS for load balancing.

I'm thinking I will be using the keepalived implementation and use the
direct routing (LVS-DR) method for forwarding (just for some
background...)

I want to pick the hardware with this in mind; will LVS benefit most
from more RAM? more CPU? what things should I consider (I'm a newbie
at this type of service, so I'd like to ask the people using it what
seems to be the best approach)

Would a single Athlon 64 suffice? or Opteron? 512MB RAM? 2 gigs? Dual
processors?

I'd be looking for the "ideal" situation, but if it could be ordered
based on the pressure points, that'd help a lot. i.e. if processor
cache size really matters, clock speed, memory speed, amount,
configuration, etc.

Right now, over web alone, it appears I'm doing 12-15 million requests
per day. I expect this number to grow a lot more. I currently have 6
webservers serving up content behind my existing [blackbox/ISP
provided] load balancing service. I want plenty of headroom to grow.

I do intend on building 2 identical machines so I have a slave
director for redundancy, as well.

Thanks in advance.

- mike