Re: Hardware requirements for an LVS director

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hardware requirements for an LVS director
From: Todd Lyons <tlyons@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:37:03 -0700
Todd Lyons wanted us to know:

>mike wanted us to know:
>
>>Would a single Athlon 64 suffice? or Opteron? 512MB RAM? 2 gigs? Dual
>>processors?
>>Right now, over web alone, it appears I'm doing 12-15 million requests
>>per day. I expect this number to grow a lot more. I currently have 6
>>webservers serving up content behind my existing [blackbox/ISP
>>provided] load balancing service. I want plenty of headroom to grow.
>
>We have a web system that's load balanced at around 7 million packets
>per day.  It's running on a Pentium III 700 with 2 Gigs of RAM.
>Load average runs typically below 0.05 (ldirectord is doing that).

I'm sorry, I posted incorrect data, 7 million is too low.  It's actually
about 140 million packets per day.  7 million is the number of
operations hitting our ldap cluster.  I have no idea why I confused
those two numbers.

--
Regards...              Todd
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: