Re: cluster vs. lvs

Subject: Re: cluster vs. lvs
From: jess patel <indian214soni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:44:14 -0800 (PST)

"Graham David Purcocks M.A.(Oxon.)" <grahamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
LVS is completed separate from your cluster. Think of it as a router. It
directs traffic to your cluster whether it be master or slave so is
essentially outside of it. You *can* use real servers as directors but
it gets real messy so its much better to keep it simple.

So, this means that lvs set up is not necessary on cluster.....it has to be
setup totally different(in terms of machines) and have traffic directing to
cluster?

If i want a  client to connect on the cluster director  which uses a least used
node  and routes the incoming packets to that node that does whatever it has to
and replies back to the client .  Where client of course is still thinking that
it is communicating with the director.  (LETS SAY THIS IS THE TYPICAL SETUP)
This is where I got confused that if the cluster director is same when we are
trying to setup lvs director and if the real servers are considered to be nodes
of the cluster....

because as far as I can understand...the client connects to the director and
director calls upon a real server flagging help ...it does work and sends
respond to the client...RIght?

So, in these terms ...cluster master node = cluster director (lvs director) and
cluster slave nodes that do the dirty work . i.e. real servers.....

I hope I am making sense....

thanks...