Re: Adding the filesystem to the configuration.

Subject: Re: Adding the filesystem to the configuration.
From: mike <mike503@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:43:56 -0800
I'd suggest GFS with AoE products from Coraid.com - that's what I'm looking at.

They also make an 1u NFS "NAS" head unit which can facilitate all the
AoE work + export a tuned NFS instance, and they tell me based on
customer demand they'll most likely be adding the capability to make
it failover automatically if you have a second unit.

NFS is a hassle because the inodes have to be the same on both
machines, otherwise when you change the server, you'll get a bunch of
errors and/or data issues.

The Coraid products are all based off normal PATA or SATA disks, which
are cheap. The units to control them are also very affordable,
compared to what is considered the cheaper alternative to fibre
channel: iSCSI.

If I can figure out how to get a GFS working on Debian nicely, and not
have to run CentOS or an RHEL/RHAS, I'll be going the Coraid+GFS
route. Otherwise I still may go the Coraid+NFS route.

- mike