Samba Clustering

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Samba Clustering
From: "Todd" <tfranklin47@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:41:15 -0400
I just thought I'd ask...has anyone in the community ever set up a functional
Samba print cluster without using proprietary software.   We're trying to do
just that in our enterprise and I'm confused as how to exactly implement this.
At this point,
I have a Heartbeat cluster setup with two Samba server, both are configured to
start the VIP cluster address first, with the  smb daemon following on
heartbeat initialization.   The cluster IP replies to ICMP and both have
printer shares accessible and printable from Windows clients.   I'm implemented
the  classic "point and connect" Windows printing on Samba.

    The only caveat has been that when both are online  (that is..in
active/passive mode and under heartbeat control), you can see the passive
cluster node printer shares alongside the active node's 13 printer shares in
the form of  printershare@nodename.   Each share is duplicated!  What were
shooting for is transparency and I'm beginning to wonder if we're chasing after
the wind.  I've seen a few claims of Samba clustering with Novell iPrint and
Lifekeeper software vendors. (If anyone has experience with those products,
please let me know.)

    The available open source software may not be evolved enough to accomplish
this kind of cluster implementation.    I would really appreciate an insightful
answer on this as soon as conveniently possible.

                                                    Thanks much, Todd