Re: understanding lvs

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: understanding lvs
From: "Hideki" <sithgunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:54:23 +0000

> What you'll want to do with regards to storage is get some sort of file
> server (homemade linux box, netapp, EMC, isilon, etc, etc), then mount
> it to all of your webservers.  That way, when an HTTP request comes in,
> all webservers will read and write to the same location.

I have recently set up a two-node cluster, both servers configured
identically, both handling HTTP, HTTPS and FTP connections over LVS.
Both machines are capable of playing the role of LVS director, but only
one is active at once. Monitoring of real servers is done with Mon.

Files are on a DRBD device, which is exported over NFS. Failover of LVS
(VIP + rules), DRBD, NFS and MySQL (also on DRBD) is handled by
Heartbeat. Works like a charm!!

I have a similar setup, only since DRBD 0.8, they allow 2 primary at once, which means both servers can run simultaneously taking full advantage of LVS, though it is a little hard to set up to have both servers work good against DRBD on GFS or OCFS but it's possible. Though this way, anything that is touchy about file locking becomes impossible to host, like MySQL and OpenLDAP, since they aren't designed to run on network shares, same as NFS but of course, they each have their own solution for replication.

I think your licensing issue goes to your hosting service provider... LVS itself does not have per CPU or per machine license / cost.

今なら Windows Live OneCare を90日間無料でお試し&2,000円キャッシュバック中 http://onecare.live.jp