Re: SMTP -- very slow connection

To: Ted Pavlic <tpavlic_list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SMTP -- very slow connection
From: Chris Kennedy <ckennedy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:29:25 -0500
I had the same problem with the Direct Routing and SMTP and POP3.  It
looked like a problem with the Ident lookup to the server by the client,
it was what always was occurring during that time out period.  I saw
this while doing tcpdumps on the virtual server where the client would
just keep asking for Ident lookups to the Virtual IP address which are
from the client port 113 to a random port above 1023 on the virtual
server.  I can see how this is tricky with the direct routing method
since this traffic should be sent on to the real server but is not.  I
sort of gave up on Direct Routing for now since this looks pretty hard
to fix if it really is Ident and the client requirements getting in the
way.

Chris K

--

Chris Kennedy
I-Land Internet Services, Network Operations Center