Re: Question about PPC

To: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question about PPC
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:11:54 +0800
Hi,

Sorry that I haven't given instruction how to use persistent port
with the new patch.

To use persistent port, the commands are as follows:
        ipvsadm -A -t <VIP>:<port> [-s <scheduler>] -p
        ipvsadm -a -t <VIP>:<port> -R <real server> ...

If the virtual service port is set persistent, connections
from the same clients are gauranteed to direct to the same
server. When a client sends request for the service at the
first time, the load balancer (director) selects a server
by the scheduling method and creates a connection and the
template. Then, the following connections from the same
client will be forwarded to the same server according to the
template in the specified time.

Ratz wrote:

> Hi to everybody
>
> Just installed 'new' kernel 2.2.12 and applied Wensongs ip-vs-patch. No
> I wanted to test it, but machines are out and I dont want to test it in
> my working environment since some paying customers could get angry when
> service is not provided anymore. So my stupid questions are:
> 1) Am I right in thinking that Persistant Port Connection (ppc) is
> relied to the Source Port of an incoming packet? and

The source address of an incoming packet is used to lookup
connection template.

> 2) If I'm right, how could this work properly behind a firewall, where
> each connection request will get a new socket with a new port? (Session
> would be lost?)

Sorry that I don't understand your question.

Wensong