Re: Proxy ARP and LVS

To: Ty Beede <tybeede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proxy ARP and LVS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:51:47 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Ty Beede wrote:

> > current director. When one host becomes director you have to send
> > gratuitous ARP packet (for VIP) on the LAN. The VIP can be moved easy on
> > another host using gratuitous ARP but don't play with it often
>
> Just a little note about gratuitous ARP according the TCP/IP Illustrated,
> Vol. 1 by Stevens this gratuitous functionality of ARP is not supported
> correctly by every implementation of arp, in this <Bhide, A., Elnozahy, E.
> N., and Morgan, S. P. 1991. "A Highly Available Network File Server,"
> Proceedings of the 1991 Wineter USENIX Conference, pp 199-205, Dallas, Tex.>
> referance the authors apparently thought about using gratuitous ARP for the
> same purpose but decided not to because they found some client machines
> which didn't correctly support it.  I don't know if this matters but it
> might be good to check up on pages 62 & 63 of Steven's book.

        I didn't read this part of the book but if the statement is based
on the 1991 implementations, may be it is very old. I didn't checked each
platform but for normal functioning everyone can check if their router
accepts gratuitous ARP packets. I have checked mine. Even the other
"clients" on the LAN accept these packets. They are running Linux. May be
if someone can find such OS/IOS can report it to the Joe to be included in
the HOWTO. If the gratuitous ARP packets are not accepted you have to
manually change the ARP entry for the VIP in all such hosts.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>