Re: [Q]Send certain packet to *ALL* real server

To: Brian Edmonds <bedmonds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Q]Send certain packet to *ALL* real server
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:16:55 -0400 (EDT)
On 28 Jul 2000, Brian Edmonds wrote:

> Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> Can I instruct the LVS to send *certain* packet to *ALL* real server
> > not at the moment. No-one has asked for anything like this.
>
> I've been thinking it could be useful.  In particular, the DNS service
> for our LVS farm will also be served by LVS for high availability, but
> the master data will be maintained on our development network's DNS
> server.  I would like to be able to have BIND send out the normal DNS
> NOTIFY packets (to prompt a zone update) and get them transmitted to all
> of the DNS servers in the farm, not just the one that the load balancer
> happens to choose at that particular moment.

I take it just having the DNS on the real-servers as secondaries to the
master machine independant of the LVS just doesn't fly?

I don't know how NOTIFY works. How does a primary machine NOTIFY
secondaries? From what I know from setting them up, the primaries don't
push, they respond to requests.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx