RE: [Q]Send certain packet to *ALL* real server

To: "'Ted Pavlic'" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Brian Edmonds <bedmonds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Q]Send certain packet to *ALL* real server
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Gong Wei <ccegongw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 08:09:20 +0800
One of the practical application in our environment is for network
management purpose.  We have a group of management server, however, for load
sharing/HA purpose I would like to let all of them appear as a single IP.

The way the overall system works is that whenever there is a link state
change on the edge switch port (connect/disconnect a pc/notebook to the
switch port, for instance), a trap will be sent to the management server,
which contains important info like the location of the switch, MAC address
of the client, etc.  These information will be used later to generate audit
reports.

Unfortunately currently there is no way to send certain packets to all real
server, so unless the subsequent packets from the *client* (not the switch)
happended to reach the real server, or else ....

Obviously I could use persistence feature with 0.0.0.0 as the netmask, but
this doesn't sounds like a neat solution ...

The "security/flooding" concern something valid as not every system
administrator knows what they are doing :-)

This is just one particular instance whereby I found LVS doesn't fit into
the picture nicely.  In other situations especially WWW/FTP, it works really
nice!