Route through rather than connect to possible?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Route through rather than connect to possible?
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:44:09 -0400 (EDT)
I was wondering -- I know LVS can handle a case where a client connects
directly to an IP address on the director, then redirects the packet to
the appropriate real server.

Can it handle gracefully the same situation, except the incoming packet is
being routed through the director?

If so, this would allow me to load up a routing daemon (BGP comes to mind,
since that's what I'm personally familiar with...) on all of my directors,
and use that for quite a few things...

The routing protocol itself would determine the availability of the
director, and if one stops responding, it will simply route around it.

The routing protocol itself could allow for an active/active situation for
the directors... if one could find a way to assure that packets are source
routed based on the IP -- ie, if it had previously gone through one
gateway, it will continue to do so -- then I think the picture would be
complete.

If you couldn't manage the source route, then perhaps you could set up
multiple IP addresses to be balanced.  Once you've done that, you could
use DNS to round-robin which IP address is connected to by the
client, and manipulate the routing protocol such that one director tends
to get one IP address, and the other tends to get the other.  Not as good
as source routed load balancing, but at least I KNOW it's supported, and
it's _some_ kind of balancing...

Any answers?  Any flaws that you can see, other than it requires special
access to the router?

Kyle Sparger