Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:20:47 -0400 (EDT)
In my last email, I said, "it will be considered to be dead, and the known
route to the IP address through that peer will be withdrawn."

I should clarify that with BGP, once a route is withdrawn, the next best
path to the destination is selected.  In our scenario, there's another
known path to the destination -- through the secondary director -- and so
that path will be the next chosen path.

> rewriting is slow and CPU intensive for the director. However you're
> only rewriting in one direction unlike VS-NAT. However this may not be a
> problem if there are other advantages.

True.  But, if you only rewrite the MAC address -- which you could get
away with -- this should end up being not much more expensive than the
current DR method.

Kyle Sparger - Senior System Administrator
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems
(954) 581-0097 - Voice (954) 581-7629 - Fax
ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dialtoneinternet.net