Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:14:39 -0400 (EDT)
> If there are 2 directors (one running and one on standbye), how will BGP
> know that the running one has failed and switch over to the other?

It's built into the protocol that each peer will periodically send a
query, and if the remote peer doesn't respond within a certain period of
time, it will be considered to be dead, and the known route to the IP
address through that peer will be withdrawn.  Basically, it assumes
that if there is no response, something is either wrong with the peer, or
network connectivity to the peer is gone.  In either case, we do not want
to route through that peer if that circumstance occurs.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger