Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?

To: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Route through rather than connect to possible?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:30:48 -0400
Kyle Sparger wrote:

> I was wondering -- I know LVS can handle a case where a client connects
> directly to an IP address on the director, then redirects the packet to
> the appropriate real server.

I'm sure you understand this, but rewriting the previous sentence

the client sends a connect request to the VIP:port on the director which
is forwarded to the real-server, where the connect request is accepted.

> Can it handle gracefully the same situation, except the incoming packet is
> being routed through the director?

are you asking if the LVS will still work if the director has an entry in
ipchains
which forwards (to another machine) connection requests addressed to VIP:port?

or are you asking what the director will do with a request to VIP:another_port
(where another_port=bgp port) when VIP:another_port is not in the ipvsadm table?

or something else?