RE: routing issues

To: Steve Gonczi <Steve.Gonczi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: routing issues
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Brad Benson <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Steve Gonczi wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:18:48 -0400
> From: Steve Gonczi <Steve.Gonczi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: 'Brad Benson' <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: routing issues
>

>                 (Next hop router)
>                  |             |
>         (63.86.125.41)       (63.86.125.43)
>               D1   -----------  D2
>        (192.168.0.3)   |     (192.168.0.4)
>               |----------------|
>               |                |
>               R1               R2
>          (192.168.0.100)   (192.168.0.101)
>

> I can see that your internal network is most likely OK.
> Consider that, D1 and D2 have 2 interfaces each.
>
> (One on the internal, and one on the external network, Correct?)
>
> Then next hop for your packets on the external net is most likely a router,
> that probably uses ARP to get the packets to D1 or D2. The packets are
> addressed to
> one of your VIP-s and the ARP table of the External router has to be updated
> for
> each VIP ( with the new MAC) upon Failover for things to work.
>
> Possibly, this router is not under your control, and you may not readily
> see it, but it has to be there.
>
> /sG

Yes, both D1 and D2 have 2 NIC's (one for the internal net and one for the
external net).  Currently, I'm testing this with the client on the same
net as the VIP's so the router should even come into play, right?

When D2 is up and running as the director and I run netstat on D2 I can't
see any connections from the client.  This seems to make sense from what
you are saying about the next hop router not getting the arp updates.  How
do I go about making sure the arp tables in the router get updated when
the IP's switch between D1 and D2?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Brad Benson