Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching- API

To: "Julian Anastasov" <ja@xxxxxx>, "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching- API
Cc: "Thomas Proell" <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Mark" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:47:14 +1000
While we are talking about an API for the real servers to talk to the
director, here's a feature that I will be needing in the future:
A command to let the real server change a Connection persistence mapping on
the director. Looking through the code it  seems like only a couple of lines
manipulating the hash table..(lock, remove,add,unlock). The library could
have a function call like "ERROR_CODE lvs_UpdatePersistantHashTable(Client
Identifier, Old Real Server, New Real Server);"

Just thought I would mention it in the hope that if an API gets developed,
this feature is added.
If not and I decide to go with LVS when I cluster my server, someone from my
team will be patching the LVS code to do this.

Here's a quick question: what would be the best way to implement the API
library?.
My thoughts went along the line of a client library that sends commands to
the director through UDP packets.
If so, does the director have a daemon running to listen to those commands
or does the LVS code do it directly?
If a daemon is used, how does it call the functions to update the
persistence hash table?
(Sorry for the newbie question but I only switched from NT a while ago and
I'm still getting used to the idea if modifying/reading kernel code (I love
it!:) so I'm not quite sure of the schematics...
I'm hoping its just a matter of a including the right header/lib file but
somehow I doubt that :)

Mark Pentland