Re: NIC cries when using testLVS

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NIC cries when using testLVS
From: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:44:18 +0100 (MET)
Hi!

> What driver and card revision are you using?  3c59x,

I used that but it seemed to do unpredictable under high load (*).
And, it threw the kernel messages.
So, I searched an update and found the 3com site:

> or the 3c90x from

This works more stable, but the throughput is far under my
expectations.

> 3com?  I've noticed that 3c59x chokes on 3c905C cards at high load -- you
> end up getting a TON of collisions -- and that the 3c90x driver relieves
> this problem.  Maybe the problem is related?

I think so. How do you find out the number of collisions?

BTW (*): I seem to have problems (at least with the 3c59x driver)
that LVS sometimes doesn't forward ANYTHING. This is an error
that occurs not very often, but it seems as if LVS isn't running
at all.

I break the testLVS, wait 2 minutes, restart LVS, restart testLVS
and everything works fine. I have no idea, if it's a problem
of the card, the driver, ipchains or LVS :-(

Thomas

--
In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?