Re: NIC cries when using testLVS

To: ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NIC cries when using testLVS
Cc: lmb@xxxxxxx, "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:14:55 +0100 (MET)
Hi!

> Get the updated (for speed) driver from:
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/#3c59x-bc

Will try!

> if this doesn't work, implement TCP zero-copy ;)

I didn't get this joke. Do you thing about routing via
/dev/null?

> > very busy. xload shows over 600% load.
>
> Oh, wait a minute, I had this too, what exactly does it say?

Nice question. I was told that xload only meassures the load
of user processes, not of the kernel. But maybe, when the kernel
is slow, your user processes can't be processed as fast as normal
and you experience a higher load?

> How big are the packets?

It is testLVS, that means you send only syn-packets, and the server
rejects them.

> > But I think it isn't the processor, it is the NIC that puts
> > all the work on the processor.
>
> Mhh, please try it with the modified 3c59x driver from the
> page above.

Well, I don't have too much hope on it, since I have the newest
kernel (with the newes non-modified 3c59x) AND I tried the
driver for 3c90x from 3Com directly. And that one was better.

Thomas