Re: DoS - Problem

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DoS - Problem
From: joern maier <joern.maier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:38:04 +0100
Julian Anastasov wrote:

>         Hello,
>
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, joern maier wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > maybe anyone of you can help me. I got some Problem protecting my VS
> > from
> > SYN - flood attacks. Somehow the drop_entry mechanism seems not to work.
> > Doing a SYN-Flood with 3 clients to my VS ( 1 director + 3 RS ) the
> > System
> > get´s unreachable. -> a single Server (one of my RS) "DoSed" by those
> > clients
> > stays alive.
>
>         You can't SYN flood the director with 3 clients only. You need
> more clients. As alternative, you can download "testlvs" from the web
> site. What shows ipvsadm -Ln under attack? How you activate drop_entry?
> What shows "cat drop_entry" ?

I dowloaded testlvs and flooded my System with it. With two clients, my
LVS
gets to a denial of service, allthough when I´m doing "cat drop_entry"
it still
shows me a "1".  ipvsadm -Ln shows me:

192.168.10.1:80 lc
192.168.1.4:80  Tunnel  1       0       33246
192.168.1.3:80  Tunnel  1       0       33244
192.168.1.2:80  Tunnel  1       0       33246

during the flooding attack the connection values stay around this size.
Using the SYN-Flood tool with which I tried it before, ivsadm shows me
this:

192.168.10.1:80 lc
192.168.1.4:80  Tunnel  1       0       356046
192.168.1.3:80  Tunnel  1       0       355981
192.168.1.2:80  Tunnel  1       0       356013

so it shows me about ten times as many connectios as your tool. I took a
look
at the packets, both are quiet similar, they only differ in the
Windowsize
(testlvs has 0, the other tool uses a size of 65534) and sequence
numbers (o.k.
checksum as well)

I am activating drop entry like this:

- I switch on my computer (director) and start linux with the LVS Kernel
- I type cd /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs
- I type echo 1 > drop_entry
- then I run the lvs scripts rc.lvs_tun on the director

=> after this, the LVS works fine under normal conditions.

what did I miss ?