Re: NIC cries when using testLVS

To: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NIC cries when using testLVS
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:40:43 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Thomas Proell wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I think this is a bit Off-Topic, but maybe someone experienced the
> same problems using testLVS:
>
> I am using a 3c905 - TX - M on a Pentium 3. I connect a 100MBps
> line to it and simulate 100.000 different clients with testLVS.
> I'm using the newest kernel and LVS version 1.0.0.
>
> At the moment I start testLVS on the client, I can't use the
> redirector any more. Typing the command "ipvsadm" takes 5 minutes
> (really!), but it shows that all 100.000 connections are
> established. The kernel spits warnings that the interrupt is

        100,000 inactive connection may be, they can't be established.

> very busy. xload shows over 600% load.

        Is the director with one NIC only?

> Even with a new driver there wasn't big difference.
>
> On the cache however, we experience around 40.000 packets per
> second.

                >40,000
        testlvs ---------->
                        eth0 director
        real server <-----'
                    40,000

        40,000 + 40,000 packets on director's eth0? Full duplex? Switched
hub?

        Do we need to add replies from the real servers in this sum?

> This is poor, isn't it?
>
> I didn't think that it's so easy to push a P3 to the limits.
> But I think it isn't the processor, it is the NIC that puts
> all the work on the processor.
>
> Any comments?

Regards

--