Re: Persistence without IP or cookies?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Persistence without IP or cookies?
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:26:04 +0100
On 2000-11-30T16:21:55,
   Andy Marsh <andy_marsh1@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> We are trying to set-up a server farm with the
> following configuration:
>
> Two load balancers
> 7 backend servers.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> We need client-server persistency, but cannot use
> cookies or IP addresses (our clients are behind
> very restrictive proxies/firewalls).

"We have to use client-server persistency, but have no way to map a request to
a client."

You must have _something_ to track a client through subsequent requests,
otherwise your own software won't be able to.

> We must allow balancing of the first request from
> the client, every subsequent request then being
> sent to the same server. Without using some form
> of URL redirection (make each backend server have
> all served pages have a specific url in them, eg.
> http://www.foo.com/server1/xxx/xfd/d) is there are
> way to do this?

No.

> We have considered storing session information on
> an NFS server to eliminate the need for persistence,
> but this just adds another point of failure and
> cost to the system.

Well yes, the optimum solution is to replicate the session data between all
servers.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl