Re: mail farm?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mail farm?
From: Greg Cope <gjjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:33:05 +0000
Peter Mueller wrote:

> gang,
>
> what open source mail programs have you guys used for SMTP mail farm with
> LVS?  I'm thinking about Qmail or Sendmail?
>
> requirements:
> something that uses just an ASCII flat file with one e-mail address per line
> for the user database plus the file to be sent out should do the trick.
> This tool must support an "unsubscribe" feature whereby recipients can
> easily reply or somehow tell us they do not want any further mailings.
> (this part sounds like "reply to" and a majordomo list?)
>
> A feature that would be nice are the ability to easily spread e-mailings
> over a few days to lessen peak loads.  Database integration (oracle) would
> be spiffy.. (perl scripts?)
>
> gracias!

qmail + ezmlm + ezmlmIDX (uses MySQL, no idea if it can use Oracle)

Why do you want to use LVS, just get a big box, qmail+ezmlm can be made
to do lots of outbound concurrent connections (500 +) on the right
hardware, so you can process a huge list.

I only see LVS as handy for in bound connection stuff, like HTTP, and
FTP, why would you want to use LVS for an outbound orientated system
like a mailing list ?

Greg