Re: How to clear stale entries ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Laurent.Lefoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to clear stale entries ?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:15:05 -0400
Laurent Lefoll wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to clear some entries in the ipvs tables ?
> I will try to precise my needs. We have a linux box (2.2.18, LVS 1.0.5 )
> load-balancing SMTP to 2 real servers with LVS-NAT and lc balancing algorithm.
> Everything is working fine but if server n°1 reboots or crashes, the
> connections
> entries remains in the tables as nothing indicated to  the LVS box that the
> connections are no more active. So when the real server n°1 comes back to
> operation, the lvs box keeps on sending all the requests (up to a certain
> value)
> to server n°2 because from the connection tables, it seems there are
> established
            ^^^
do you mean n*1 here?

> connection to server n°1 and we are in lc balancing.

Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing and then maybe
you can ask again.

After a real-server failure, some agent external to LVS
will run ipvsadm to delete the entry(entries) for that
real-server. Once this is done no new connections can
be made to that server, but the entries are kept in
the table till they timeout. You can't 'remove' those
entries, you can only change the timeout values.

Any clients connected through
those entries to the failed service(s) will find their
connection hung or deranged in some way. We can't do
anything about that. The client will have to
disconnect and make a new connection.
For http where the client makes
a new connection almost every page fetch, this is not
a problem. Someone connected to a database may find their
screen has frozen.