RE: ifconfig 1.42

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: ifconfig 1.42
From: "Lizambri, Todd" <tlizambri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:27:31 -0500

> Wow - you solved my problem.   I have been trying to alias the wrong
> way.  Stupid me!  Thanks.
>
> Matt

Be careful... just because 'ifconfig' reported something when you issued
"ifconfig eth0:0" doesn't mean that you have aliases set-up corrected.
If you say "ifconfig eth0:foo" you'll get

eth0:foo  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:B7:B9:F9:7F
          Interrupt:23 Base address:0x4000

You'll should see the alias listed if you simply issue the "ifconfig -a"
command.
You were experiencing the same problems that I had. Try this:
1) BEFORE running any lvs configure scripts, setup IP addresses for eth0
and eth1 on the respective networks. The IP addresses here should be NO
part of LVS.

ifconfig eth1 192.168.2.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.2.255
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.8   netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.1.255

2) Now setup an alias for the VIP (the alias for the DIP will be set up
when you run the configure script). This is done by issueing the
following command (assumming eth1 is the VIP):

ifconfig eth1:110 192.168.2.110 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.2.255
or make this automatic when your network initializes by creating a file:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:110 (see the ifcfg-eth1 as an
example, but change the IP address and set the DEVICE to eth1:110).

3) run ifconfig. You should see your alias for "eth1:110" now. If you
don't setup the alias, the rc.lvs_nat script will exit saying something
like "this is neither a director nor a realserver". I think it checks to
make sure that the VIP specified in the config file is tied to an
interface that is up and available (i.e. something you can see if you do
an ifconfig).

4) Now run your rc.lvs_nat, then "ifconfig". You should see the alias
for eth0 (DIP) configured now.

You don't HAVE to have these extra addresses and aliases for LVS! Just
make sure you don't reference aliases in the lvs_nat.conf if you don't
plan to use aliases (or you'll get the original error about the VIP
moving).