Possible config distributed system? DR/TUN/NAT? LDAP?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Possible config distributed system? DR/TUN/NAT? LDAP?
From: "Michael Cunningham" <m.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:09:47 -0500
Hiya,

I am thinking about using 3 pair of Linux virtual servers in my company
load balance 8 ldap servers throughout the USA.

4 ldap servers in NJ, 2 in FL, and 2 in CO

I would like to setup a pair of LVS systems in a cluster configuration
with Direct Routing (I believe) at each location (NJ, FL, CO).

Each lvs cluster would use some form of scheduling algorithm
(suggestions welcome?) to load balance each local site. If all the
LDAP server machines go down in a site then it would load balance
between the remaining servers in the other two remote sites. This
will keep everything fully meshed (LVS clusters at the other locations
will be doing to same thing as well).

Example:

LDAPserverA and LDAPserverB (located in Florida) are being load
balanced by a HA pair of LVS servers in Florida. Clients end up
sending their traffic to either LDAPserverA or LDAPserverB normally.
This balancing would be achieved via Direct Routing. I believe.
Something horrible happens and both LDAPserverA and LDAPserverB
go down. I now need the FL LVS cluster to begin telling clients to
go to CO or NJ (based on weight).

Is this doable?

Can 1 LVS cluster deal with multiple types of routing simultaneously?

What type of scheduling algorithm would you suggest?

What type of routing would you suggest for the remote locations?
(TUN/NAT)

There are no ARP issues with tunnel or NAT correct? just DR.

Has anyone load balanced LDAP servers with LVS yet? Any pitfalls?

If you have done LDAP servers.. How did you monitor the status of each
LDAP server with the LVS software?

Has anyone done anything like this and can anyone provide a sample/
example config?

THANKS!  for any help you can offer..
Mike